What Is Merocel® Material?
Merocel PVA is a highly advanced biocompatible synthetic material. It's produced by a chemical reaction resulting in cross-linked polyvinyl alcohol with a completely open cell structure. The final PVA sponge material has 100% open pores in its structure with no "dead-end pockets" to hold residues.
This structure, along with the sponge's unique reticulated form, makes it both absorbent and hydrophilic. The Merocel material is exceptionally strong and durable, yet soft and comfortable when hydrated.
Merocel's unique properties deliver many benefits, including:
- Conforms to space or orifice
- Highly absorbent (up to 21 times its weight in fluid)
- Hemostatic attributes (tamponade effect with light pressure)
- Controlled release
- Site-specific delivery
- Stenting properties
- Adhesion prevention
- High in purity
- Excellent wet state elasticity
- Resistant to many chemicals
- Durable and long-lasting
- Controlled pore size ranges 0.0001 mm – 0.2 mm)
- Unlimited sizes and shapes (molded or die-cut)
- X-ray detectable
- Impregnated with various compounds
- Soft and compressible for easy insertion
- Can be trimmed to any customized shape
- 100% fiber-free
- Fast-wicking (hydrophilic)
- Custom treatments available