The Merocel Difference
Our chemical process for producing Merocel PVA material is substantially different from any other PVA on the market. Some of our unique manufacturing methods include:
- Pore formers
- 100% open pores
- Distinctive micro-structure
The Merocel sponge process uses purified air to form the pores of the sponge material, instead of pore-forming chemical additives. Pore-forming chemical additives, such as starch/sulfate combinations, cannot be removed completely from the finished product. These pore formers are contaminants for many applications.
100% Open Pores
The Merocel PVA sponge material has 100% open pores in a structure with no dead-end pockets that hold residues. This contributes to very effective purification, resulting in low extractable residues.
Non-Merocel sponge materials may have micro-pockets that can trap starch/sulfate residues. These sponges must be washed with various solutions to remove the residues. Some of the starch residue may be trapped in the polymer structure of the sponge where washing solutions cannot reach. This makes it impossible to remove the residues from the final sponge product.
The comparative SEM photos below illustrate the distinctive micro-structure of the Merocel material. In the Merocel photo, there is a continuous porous web of interconnected material. In the photo of a competing product, the material is filled with tiny fibrils resulting from spaces between the pore formers during the cross-linking reaction. These fibrils break off during use and contribute to higher particulates. Merocel particulates are lower when compared to the current competitive product.
Merocel PVA is gamma-radiated to destroy mold spores and other microorganisms that cause contamination in the final product.
Merocel's unique properties deliver many benefits, including:
- Conforms to space or orifice
- Highly absorbent (up to 21 times its weight in fluid)
- Hemostatic attributes (tamponade effect with light pressure)
- Controlled release
- Site-specific delivery
- Stenting properties
- Adhesion prevention
- High in purity
- Excellent wet state elasticity
- Resistant to many chemicals
- Durable and long-lasting
- Controlled pore size ranges 0.0001 mm – 0.2 mm)
- Unlimited sizes and shapes (molded or die-cut)
- X-ray detectable
- Impregnated with various compounds
- Soft and compressible for easy insertion
- Can be trimmed to any customized shape
- 100% fiber-free
- Fast-wicking (hydrophilic)
- Custom treatments available